Parkinson's disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects mostly the dopamine-producing (“dopaminergic”) neurons in the area of the brains called the substantia nigra. It can be caused by toxins (in air, water and food), chemicals, poor diet, MSG and excitotoxins, and is further accentuated by the environment. Alzheimer’s and ALS are also neurodegenerative diseases and have very similar treatments, and this information will be of great benefit to those issues as well.
Recent studies on the gut microbiome show that Parkinson's disease may originate in cells in the gut and then travel via the vagus nerve to the brain. They did studies where they injected misfolded proteins into the guts of mice only to find them in the brain months later. When the cranial nerve was cut, the proteins never made it to the brain. Please visit our gut health section to learn more on microbiome health.
Parkinson’s can also develop from deposits of proteins found in the brain. Stress, Inflammation and an overactive immune system can all make the symptoms worse.
Symptoms often develop over years and are: loss of smell (hyposmia), sleep disorders, constipation, incoordination, autonomic nervous system dysfunction (the ANS automatically controls internal functions like blood pressure, breathing, and bladder function), tremors while resting, bradykinesia (slow or impaired movement of limbs), rigid or stiff limbs, jerking movements, gait issues, balance issues, changes in posture, walking becomes a bit dangerous, falling occurs, facial expressions change, anxiety, depression, and hallucinations.
AVOID: ALL HERBICIDES, INSECTICIDE, PESTICIDES, LARVICIDES, FUNGICIDES, GLYPHOSATE, ROUND UP READY products, and any pest control product. These are all designed to do ONE THING: Kill a living nervous system. Avoid all non-organic fruits, vegetables, dairy, grain and meat whether you have Parkinson’s or not. ☺
PLEASE LISTEN OR WATCH THE TWO BLOG POSTS ON THE NERVOUS SYSTEM !
Whole Foods & Spices to ENJOY
- Raw fruits and vegetables - provides antioxidants to reduce free radical damage and lower inflammation
- FERMENTED VEGETABLES. A more balanced bacterial rich gut microbiome = more dopamine! Sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, miso, kimchi, anything freshly fermented without vinegar and no fermented foods from cans. Those are pasteurized. For video and recipes click HERE.
- Leafy greens
- High Fiber foods - improve bowel functions.
- Coconut oil and coconut products. Taking 1-2 Tbl. of coconut oil a day in smoothies etc. has helped many who live with Parkinson’s because of the high healthy fat content. REMEMBER: Fat is the slippery slide for the nervous system so healthy fats support neurological health.
- Foods highest in DHA come from the sea. Wild-caught fish, Mackerel, salmon, cod liver oil, cardines, anchovies, cavier.
- Pastured butter
- Sprouted nuts (walnuts are best)
- Seeds (hemp, chia, flax) flax being superior – but use as flax seed meal or flax seed oil. If you use whole flax seeds the oil will only be useful if you chew it. Purchase flax seeds and chia seeds, and hemp too, and blend them in your bender for a few seconds and viola! You have flax-chia-hemp seed meal! Store in fridge or freezer as the oils are fresh.
- Cold-pressed oils (olive, tea seed, etc.)
- Fresh vegetable juice can be enjoyed for at least 1 meal a day
- Green tea - provides antioxidants to reduce free radical damage and lower inflammation. Green tea also contains theanine, which elevates dopamine levels
- Peppers – red, yellow, orange, black pepper, spicy peppers, etc.
- Sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds
- Follow the Anti-Inflammatory diet for best health results!
Whole Foods & Spices to AVOID
- MSG AKA autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, yeast extract, Torulo yeast, natural flavoring, glutamic acid and note there are at least 30 MORE names they hide MSG under! NOT kidding! MSG in whatever disguised name is an excitotoxin and is very dangerous to the human cell and your life.
- GRAIN! Avoid grain completely if dealing with Parkinson’s. Grains are inflammatory, and gluten is not good for the brain. (checkout the book: Grain Brain)
- Reduce meat and dairy consumption. Those with Parkinson’s do best with limited protein consumption, and most of that should come from produce.
- HERBICIDES, INSECTICIDE, PESTICIDES, LARVICIDES – These are all designed to do ONE THING: Kill a living nervous system. Avoid all non-organic fruits, vegetables, dairy, grain and meat. (larvicides are in meat to kill larva so you don’t see them living in your food, yes, even after being cooked parasites, etc. can be living)
- Processed foods: toxins and additives found in processed foods can make Parkinson’s worse.
- Trans fat
- Artificial sweeteners - can make Parkinson’s worse.
- Alcohol - Can disrupt neurologic function & and alter mood
- Allergen: Food allergies can exacerbate Parkinson’s symptoms by worsening gut health
- Well water from wells near farms – chemical run off runs rapid and the chemicals are linked to Parkinson’s
Vitamins, Supplements, Tinctures & Extracts
- CBD and if available THC
- DHA – studies have shown that most Parkinson’s sufferers are low – very low in DHA. Thoughts circulate on perhaps men not being able to break down DHA and fatty acids as well as women, and perhaps that is why more men than women get Parkinsons? No matter what, take DHA and eat foods rich in DHA.
- N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is fantastic in boosting glutathione production. Glutathione helps reduce free radical damage, always heavily associated with Parkinson’s.
- Vitamin C! (A must as it is a great anti-oxidant!)
- Omega-3 helps elevate dopamine levels and reduce inflammation.
- Coenzyme Q10 – An antioxidant found in every cell. Those with Parkinson’s seem to most always have low levels of CoQ10
- Vitamin E - supports brain function
- Protease and enzyme blends that break down proteins. Take them on an empty stomach to assure they are traveling in the blood stream freely, so they can digest parasites and undigested proteins, and not digesting the proteins in food.
- Green powders! Specially Spirulina, chlorella, Alfalfa grass, barley grass juice powder, and wheatgrass
- Fish oil
- Vitamin D! Perhaps 6,000 - 8,000 IU of Vitamin D daily – and visit our Sunshine Section!
- Low Dose Niacin
- Herbal Calcium
Healing Techniques & Modalities
- Stem cell therapy – patients have had dramatic and powerful results using their own stem cells.
- ACCUPUNCTURE - The Neurodegenerative Disease Research Group at King’s College in London has shown acupuncture can relieve symptoms by generating neural responses in the brain. It can slow cell death and eliminate oxidative stress that causes damage to dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra.
- PEMF is defined as Pulsed Electromagnetic Field therapy - the PEMF units or full body pads are amazing for neurological issues!
- Remove amalgam (silver) fillings – these too are liked to neurological disorders and Parkinson’s
- Remove heavy metals with chelation, and using other forms of heavy metal removal. This can include baths with herbs, topically wraps, saunas, etc. NOTE: Welders have been shown to have a higher risk of Parkinson’s because of the metals.
- Dry clean using organic safe products: TCE is a common degreasing agent and dry-cleaning chemical that has been linked to Parkinson’s
- Biomat – several hours a day on low heat
- Visit our Anxiety or Depression sections
- Visit our Bowel Health Section if there is constipation
- A single concussion can lead to Parkinson’s.
- Exercise! Water aerobics, yoga, ride a stationary bike, jump on a rebounder if you can while holding a bar, walk, just move that body. Resistance training works very well also. Exercise stimulate the brain greatly! A Swedish study of over 40k people, found that six hours or more of moderate exercise each week can reduce your risk of developing Parkinson's disease by 43%!
- S-T-R-E-T-C-H Daily
- Enjoy Qigong or Tai Chi every day as this helps greatly with balance
- Aquatic Ai Chi – water therapy twice a week – great results.
- Ride a bike! This has been proven to improve cognitive performance I Parkinson’s patients
- Biofeedback Therapy
- Chelation Therapy pulls heavy metals and toxins from the body
- CVS Therapy - “In 2016, a case study was published using caloric vestibular stimulation (CVS), a form of neuromodulation, in a 70-year-old man with Parkinson's disease. He self-administered the treatment at home "via a portable, solid-state, device that discharged time-varying thermal waveforms via ear pieces housed in a headset." After using the device twice a day for 20-minute sessions over a period of three months, the man had a 50% reduction in both motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease, and the relief persisted for at least five months after the treatment was stopped.” – Dr. Mercola
- Guided meditation is WONDERFUL and helpful for relaxing the mind.
- Eliminate all aluminum cookware and dishware
- Eliminate all nonstick cookware
- Eliminate all antiperspirant (most have aluminum)
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Mucuna Pruriens
- Thorn Apple
- Passion Flower
- Korean Ginseng
- Cramp Bark
- Burdock Root
- St John’s Wort
Essential Oils & Aromatherapy
- Helichrysum - reduce inflammation (on the temples and neck)
- Frankincense - reduce inflammation (on the temples and neck)
- Vetiver - reduce tremors (on the temples and neck)
- Neuroscience News July 24, 2019
- Parkinsonism & Related Disorders May 31, 20
- Brain. 2015 Feb;138(Pt 2):269-75.
- Journal of Neurochemistry Volume 112, Issue 3, pages 773–783, February 2010
- Medical News Today February 4, 2014
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, Causes
Fun legal stuff!
This information should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and/or treatment from a qualified medical provider. Always seek the advice of a medical physician or a qualified medical provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard or read here. Any actions you take as a result of information you obtained in this course is your own responsibility and no participating member of the program can be held accountable for it. This information is not intended to be patient education, nor should it create any patient-physician relationship. We do not claim to diagnose or cure disease. We are presenting general information about the human body. The information in this course is not medical advice and should not be treated as such; it is provided for entertainment purposes only.
Copyright © 2019 Karen’s Holistic Health, USA. All Rights Reserved.
Join our Free Community Calls & BODcasts LIVE!
You can join in the conversation, ask questions or just listen - either way you'll learn new things about holistic health, your body, and how much we LOVE your guts!